Sunday, April 10, 2011

USA Titanic

Our federal government has come to an agreement on the national budget and we can all now sleep well, knowing that they have shown the discipline to reduce it by $30Billion.  I heard an analogy somewhere, that this is like throwing the barbell sets off the Titanic and expecting it not to sink.

I can remember when I was a kid (way back !) and I watched our congressmen.  They seemed like intelligent, well intentioned people, both Republican and Democrat.  There were disagreements, yes, but it seemed more civil somehow.  They compromised.  Today, I hear them talk and they are so determined to beat each other they're like boxers in a burning building.  Does it matter to them that the building will be gone when they're finished?   It is the height of condescension to think that the antics they have presented to us this past few weeks are going to solve anything.  Even to say it's a step in the right direction is like giving high praise to a dog that craps in the living room instead of the dining room.

During this whole budget debate, everyone kept talking about the Tea Party and all their influence, but I don't see any "T's after any congressman's name when they run their mouths to reporters.  Are they representing Republicans or the Tea Party?  Why does this loud, small group have so much influence?   When I first heard of the Tea Party I had just read a book on the life of John Adams  (now that was a patriot !) and I was in a "give me liberty", "don't tread on me" sort of mood.  I was excited by the prospect of our founding father's ideas being brought to the forefront.  But all these people ever talk about is taxes, taxes, taxes.... cut our taxes.  "We won't pay anymore taxes" !  I'm all for lower taxes if we can afford it, but let there be a plan to first balance our budget.  This is ludicrous to think we can keep cutting money from the more obscure federal programs and it will make it all better.

There aren't enough life boats and the ship is taking on water and it's only a matter of time before the passengers, better known as the world currency market run around in a circle looking for a safe haven lest they drown in the freezing waters of the United States federal deficit.  This all because our government can't develop a realistic plan that includes cuts in some sacred cows such as medicare, medicaid, social security and the military along with an increase in tax revenues.  We're still taking on water, and the Captain and his crew are walking around in a daze mumbling about nation building, health care for all,  no new taxes and tea.

God help the USA Titanic as it heads towards an iceberg and all anybody can do is argue over which way it should swerve while they sip their tea.  Dump the tea and just turn, damn it !


In my humble opinion.

Chuck Marshall
"As a tip for me, click an ad....it's free!"

1 comment:

Puff said...

Completely agree. I also remember a time when congress was more interested in governance and what is good for US citizens than playing political games.