Saturday, September 3, 2011

Is the Republican Party Anti-Science?

Something has been bugging me for a while.  It seems to me that the Republican party has been drifting into an "anti-science" frame of mind these past few years.  Think about it, they absolutely despise Global Warming (or whatever we're suppose to call it) and consider it a farce or just an exaggerated fluctuation in earth's temperature.   But most scientists in that field believe it's a real problem.  They are opposed to raising the debt ceiling (no matter what !) because they don't think anything "bad" will happen even though the best economists were warning the exact opposite.  Now, I'm understanding that the Republican herd is starting to nod their head in agreement with those that believe evolution is wrong.  I mean, evolution?  Genetics and evolution are utilized every day to a very great benefit to mankind.   I'm actually a pretty religious guy, but living in the 21st century I've learned that the Bible and science can go hand in hand if you consider that God is the one that set it all up.

I understand the Republicans need the Christian right to become elected but I think it's obvious they're just using them.  Everybody knows it except........the Christian right.  Does any thinking person really believe that once they get into power that the Republicans are going to take on gay marriage or abortion?  They won't touch it with a ten foot pole.   I guarantee it.... until, of course the summer of  2015 when they remember to mouth their opinion and spoon feed this very naive group of people that "this time, we're going to be fighting for the American Family".   Blah, blah, blah......

As a Christian man I look to my pastor for spiritual leadership but I don't think I really care if the President, or Congress are Christians or not.   I do, however care very much that they are intelligent and that they respect the scientific community and its leaders.  We live in a world of facts and concrete and they need to react based on that reality.  Science has gotten mankind very far, and it should be respected for the direction it offers not discounted for political gains.  Religion and politics do not mix., and they shouldn't.  I think it's repugnant to toss around the name of Jesus Christ and his intentions in these ugly matters of earthly politics.  As Christ himself said  "Render unto Cesar what is Cesar's and unto God what is God's".

In My Humble Opinion,

Chuck Marshall


No comments: