Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Role of Government

OK, so since I laid into President Obama last night, I've decided to leave our leaders alone for a little while and review what I think is role of our government, or any government for that matter. Then, in future blogs as I endeavor to magnify the colossal ineptitude of the majority of our existing leadership, it won't need quite as much 'splaining. I am totally brainstorming, so please excuse me if I ramble a little more than usual.

According to our constitution, the role of the government is "to insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence (olde English spelling, don't you love it !) promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity".

I think if you hold onto this core sentence, it will get you through a lot of the consternation we all seem to feel when we're trying to figure if "xyz" is the right move for the government to do.

So, according to this preamble I've mentioned from the Constitution of the United States of America, our government should;

1) Provide for the common "defence": Defend us as a people with an army, navy, etc.... whatever it takes to keep the barbarians out. That's simple enough. Provide for the common defence.

2) Insure domestic tranquility. Clearly enough, this means to maintain peace between us with some sort of police force to keep us from breaking out into a frenzy over "things". Protect the innocent from those that would steal or hurt or kill because they are stronger or more powerful (whatever the situation- crime, business, government itself). This is critical because it's not being done right now. Insure domestic tranquility.

3) Promote the general welfare. I believe the spirit is to encourage business between us all on a level playing field, so that we might provide for our families through whatever talents the good Lord gave us. Note it doesn't say to "provide" for the general welfare. I believe it is truly a violation of our constitution to require the population to provide for anyone other than their family, children, elderly family members and anyone within the community that that person finds it within his heart to help. Promote the general welfare.

4) "Secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity": Key word is Liberty and posterity. This is usually where I start losing the Republicans. I really believe the spirit of this statement also expects us to take care of our planet. The framers of our constitution probably didn't envision the human race reaching 5 Billion, with incredible machines that do a lot of good but also do a lot of polluting. I think our grandchildren will be much happier to enjoy their liberty if we have left them a clean, inhabitable planet on which to inhabit. Otherwise, what the hell does any of it matter? Secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.



In my humble opinion,

Chuck Marshall

No comments: